Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Quest for Inner Peace

Meditation Anyone?

Apparently, there are people all over the world who mediate. They do this quite regularly, and it’s supposed to be really good for you. Did you know this? You probably did. And, you probably sat down and tried it once or twice, like I've done, and really gave it a go. I really and truly tried, but it never quite clicked for me. I kept thinking about things that I needed to do after I was done meditating, cleaning, making dinner, grading, trimming my toenails, really pressing stuff. One time I spent the whole time trying to decide on a mantra. I read that you’re supposed to pick a word that doesn’t meant anything and that doesn't evoke any ideas at all, but every word I came up with reminded me of something. Clearly, my mediation efforts have not been successful. I never even came close to that transcendental state where everything in your mind stops, and you are one with your breathing and the earth and everyone in the universe. I remember reading about the power of meditation in some study that was done years ago in Washington, D.C. where a whole bunch of people came from all over to sit and meditate for several weeks, and the crime rate actually went down. So, it’s even good for people who aren’t doing it but who happen to be nearby.



Years ago, my ex-husband and I went to a marriage counselor, and she recommended a book called The Relaxation Response. We got the book and both read some of it, but we didn’t stick with it for long. We both learned that meditation takes a lot of time and dedication, and with full time jobs and two small children we were just too overwhelmed. Years later I read Eat, Pray, Love and felt Elizabeth Gilbert’s pain as she tried to ignore her thoughts, her hunger, and the mosquitos biting, but she eventually succeeded. I envied her diligence and wrote off my own shortcomings as geographically- and financially-related issues. After all, I could be successful at mediation, too, if I could quit my job and go to Indonesia for a month.  The reality is that that will likely never happen, but I still want to learn how to achieve that mindful focus and inner calm. My goal is to set aside a half hour every day to practice, and with practice I hope to achieve success and reap some of the many benefits: less anxiety, lower cortisol levels, improved blood circulation, better sleep, and just an all over sense of well-being and peacefulness.

To help me with my goal, I found several sources for techniques and tips:


After a quick scan of these sources, I found that they list many similar ideas about the basics of meditation, and they are especially encouraging and reassuring that many of us start with the same crazy, unruly mind that seems impossible to control. We just need to stick with it, and, in time, the onslaught of random thoughts lessens as the mind is more and more able to stay focused on the singular task of mediation. With my arsenal of information and support, I’m ready to begin my journey!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your journey. I've thought about meditation in the past, so please share how this journey goes for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon Salzberg helped me with meditation. Her book, "Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation" set me straight. Your mind will not quiet. In fact, for some mediations, you should imagine and repeat phrases. It really is about sitting. Finding time to sit. Check out her book from the library if you can. It comes with a CD to help guide you through the mediations: http://www.sharonsalzberg.com/28-day-meditation-challenge-2015/

    ReplyDelete