Monday, April 13, 2015

End of the Road for the Meditation Blogs


The internet is a wondrous tool. We all know this. Some of us know this more than others and in more ways than others. I’ve just begun to learn about online communities, affinity spaces, professional groups, and many other places to connect with people. I’m still a newbie when it comes to reaching out to others in the digital world, and to be honest, it’s still a little awkward for me, which is weird considering how many people find face-to-face socializing awkward. But that’s just the way I’m built. In my quest to make meditation a part of my life, I’ve explored online sources and communities. While I find the information extremely valuable, I prefer physical communities to digital ones.


Just to wrap up this whole meditation journey, here’s what I’ve learned:

  • Learning how to meditate is more than that. It is learning how to take time out of our busy day and relax. Not sitting in front of the tv or computer screen to zone out. It's being focused.
  • There is a huge difference between an empty mind and a focused mind.
  • I’ve learned that mediation can be more than a way to relax. It can also be a way to reshape your brain. Reshape your brain! As in physically change the way it works!
  • I’ve found out that many of my colleagues not only practice meditation regularly but are willing and happy to share their expertise and offer support and advice.
  • I’ve learned about this thing called the monkey mind. All these years, all those times I thought I was losing my mind and wanted to claw my way out of my own body, I was experiencing the same inner chaos that many other people experience when life is at its most stressful. I only wish I’d had the strength to force myself to try meditation 15 or 20 years ago. Then again, I wonder if the strength and patience required to practice meditation is something that comes to some of us with age.
  • Always check that you spelled it meditation, not mediation or medication.
Most of all, I’ve learned to just keep doing it and that it is very much worth the time spent to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment